Arkansas 4-H Shooting Sports Program
The Arkansas 4-H Shooting Sports Program is perfect for kids who are interested in a safe and fun way to get outdoors and learn new skills.
The program is modeled after the National 4-H Shooting Sports Program.
Instruction is included in:
- Archery - Recurve and Compound
- Rifle - BB, Air, and Smallbore
- Pistol - Air and Smallbore
- Shotgun - Trap, Sporting Clays, and Skeet
- Black powder/muzzle loader
- Hunting Skills - Wildlife Identification, Orienteering, and Hunters Ed.
Shooting Sports Safety
Safety is the first priority of the Arkansas 4-H Shooting Sports Program. Our policies help ensure 4-H members and leaders stay safe. You can review our official policies by clicking the link below:
The program is designed to:
- Enhance self-confidence, personal development, discipline, responsibility, and sportsmanship.
- Create an appreciation and understanding of natural resources.
- Provide volunteer instructors safe and proper instructional techniques and methods to teach youth.
- Give youth thorough, safe instruction and training in the use of firearms and teach conservation principles.
- Be FUN and SAFE for all participants.
Arkansas 4-H Shooting Sports is a county-delivered 4-H Program. To get involved, you will need to contact your County Extension Office and sign up on Arkansas 4-H Online. The contact information for 4-H Shooting Sports can be found there. If your county does not have an active 4-H Shooting Sports Club, contact the state 4-H office at 501-671-2053.
The specific goals and objectives of the 4-H Shooting Sports Program include, but are not limited to, those listed below:
- Youth Development is the number one goal and objective of the 4-H Shooting Sports Program, and is achieved by utilizing the tools available through the disciplines of recreational shooting sports.
- To enhance development of self-concept, character, personal growth, and life skills through safe, educational and socially acceptable involvement in shooting activities.
- To teach safe and responsible handling and storage of firearms and archery equipment at home, on the shooting range, and in the field, including sound decision making, self-discipline and concentration.
- To promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship and ethical behavior.
- To encourage understanding and participation in natural resources and related natural science programs by exposing participants to the content through target shooting, hunting, and related activities.
- To expose participants to the broad array of vocational and lifelong avocation activities related to shooting sports.
- To complement and enhance the impact of existing safety, shooting, and hunter education programs using experiential education methods and progressive development of skills and abilities.
- To provide 4-H adult volunteers with instructor training and certification in shooting sports, and to provide advance training in the various shooting sports disciplines.