In the News - July 2013
Randolph/Lawrence Co. Field Day, Ag Appreciation Day set for Aug. 9
- Aug. 9 Field Day/Ag Appreciation Day at Walnut Ridge
- Rep. Rick Crawford, Zach Taylor keynote speakers
- Lunch will be served, no charge to participate
WALNUT, RIDGE, Ark. – U.S. Rep. Rick Crawford and Zach Taylor, marketing director of the state Agriculture Department will be headliners at the Randolph/Lawrence Co. Field Day/Agriculture Appreciation Day on Aug. 9 at Walnut Ridge.
“Producers, whether row crop or livestock, in Randolph and Lawrence counties, do not want to miss this event,” said Herb Ginn, Lawrence County extension staff chair for the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture.
“It is a privilege for the Extension Service and the Chambers of Commerce to join forces and bring an inside field day and a day of appreciation to our farmers,” said Mike Andrews, Randolph County extension staff chair.
The event will take place in two locations at Walnut Ridge; the row crop meeting will be at the Lawrence County Meeting Hall, 115 W. Walnut; with the livestock portion being held at the U.S. Department of Agriculture building, 1100 W. Main.
At 11:15, a.m., all participants will gather at the meeting hall, using their own transportation, hear Crawford and Taylor speak at 11:30 a.m.
Here are the agendas for both meetings.
Lawrence County Meeting Hall in Walnut Ridge:
- 9 a.m. -- Lance Schmidt, University of Arkansas rice verification coordinator
- 9:30 a.m. – Travis Faske, University of Arkansas Extension plant pathologist
Tim Scott, Randolph County Chamber of Commerce
- 10 a.m. – Jason Kelley, University of Arkansas Extension wheat and feed grain specialist
- 10:30 a.m. -- Jeremy Ross, University of Arkansas Extension soybean specialist
- 11 a.m. -- Bob Scott, University of Arkansas Extension weed scientist
L. J. Bryant, Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce
USDA Field Service Office:
- 10 a.m. -- Stockpiling forages to extend the grazing season - Mike Andrews
- 10:30 a.m. -- Establishment and management of forage brassicas - Steve Jones, associate professor-Livestock
- 11:15 a.m. -- Travel to Lawrence County Meeting Hall for keynote addresses
All gather at Lawrence County Meeting Hall for:
11:30 a.m. -- Zach Taylor - Marketing Director Department of Agriculture
Rep. Rick Crawford
For or more information about this event, contact the Lawrence County Extension office at 870-886-3741, or the Randolph County Extension Office at 870-892-4504.
The Cooperative Extension Service is part of the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture and offers its programs to all eligible persons regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status, and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
July 24, 2013
By The Cooperative Extension Service Media Contact: Mary Hightower
U of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture
Extension Communications Specialist
U of A Division of Agriculture
Cooperative Extension Service
Request an Interview